Friday, September 20, 2013

Milk Stout Nitro

It shouldn't be a surprise to learn that I love my beer dark. Lately, I can't seem to drink enough java porters, imperial stouts, and milk stouts. Left Hand Brewing does great variations on the milk stout. They have their traditional and roasty Milk Stout and then the sweet, gentle, creamy, Milk Stout Nitro.
Is that my Blunderbuss vinyl hiding behind the beer? How did that get there?

Ignore the crazy glass, my mom stole it from a bar in her youth. I would just recommend putting it in a pub glass and skipping the larceny altogether, but I'm not here to judge. Anyway, you can see this beer is Guinness-caliber dark. It has a fluffy two-finger head—or it would have if I didn't drink it so fast in utter delight. I'll note that this beer does require a different pour than a slow, loving pour of non-nitro brew. Because this beer is jacked with nitrogen it has to have a "hard pour." The best way to pour to get a whipped cream-ish head is by watching this guide: http://milkstoutnitro.com/ (first you'll have to confirm that you're of "drinking age"). 

Once the beer slooshes into the glass it's beautiful. The whole beer is thick and creamy. There are hints of roasted coffee, chocolate, and brown sugar. I couldn't believe the quality of this beer for only $2.19 per bottle at Siciliano's, I'm sure other craft beer stores will sell it for around the same price. If you're trying your hand at dark beers or milk stouts, I would definitely recommend starting right here with Left Hand. 

Hopefully more breweries will use this fancy nitrogen process in their porters and stouts. The nitrogen has a clever way of cutting the bitterness of a stout and leaving behind a decadent product. Left Hand Brewing has perfected the nitro-infusion, which is why they currently hold the key to my heart (whether or not they want it...).

No comments:

Post a Comment