Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.

Hilarious.
Let's be honest: I don't know anything about Battlestar Galactica. I had no intention of connecting beer and biking to Battlestar Galactica. Real talk: I had no title for this blog. But, I love the episode of The Office when Jim impersonates Dwight and says "Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." I'm sorry if I've digressed into oblivion. I'm getting back on track rigggghht now.

The title is at least 2/3 correct. Beer and biking is starting to be a "thing" in the world of craft beer. Basically, beer drinkers will tour various breweries by cycling to each one. There are an increasing number of companies planning these trips. Right here in Michigan, you should check out Motor City Bike and Brew Tour, which let's cyclists experience the beer industry of Detroit as well as the city's history of alcohol in general.

Some trips only bike for 20 miles and stop at 2 or 3 breweries. Other trips cover dozens of miles and last almost a week. Usually the beercycling (I love that this is an ACTUAL term) is lead by a guide who has an "in" at the breweries. The focus of these trips is not JUST drinking, it's supposed to be educational too. Once your bike gang arrives to the brewery Hell's Angels style, you usually get a tour of the taproom, tasting of the beer, and maybe even a chitchat with the brewmaster. Then you pedal off the calories and repeat the process at the next stop.

I know what you're thinking: "can I get a DUI biking while drunk?" I'm 72% sure that you can, at least in Michigan. Driving is driving, so the bike tours usually have a back up plan in the event a cyclist get Alabama slammered. Actually, some beercycling companies have a DD on standby for the longer treks, just in case a biker gets wasted—as sometimes bikers do. As I said earlier, this is not a booze cruise; it's tasting and riding and learning, which is how it remains legal. But, as long as you can limit your drinking and deal with a sore ass afterwards, I think this would be a perfect weekend trip for anyone who likes to day drink.

Now I just have two questions to ask:
1. Who wants to go on a beercycle ride with me?
2. Who has a bike I can borrow?

1 comment:

  1. You are always welcome to join us in Belgium!

    Cheers, -Evan. www.beercycling.com

    ReplyDelete