Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I May be Bias but Michigan Rocks


Like I've said before, I live in Grand Rapids AKA Beer City, USA. It's a great place to be young and in love...with beer. But, it's not just Grand Rapids that has my drunken heart, it's this whole damn state.

Yesterday, my roommate gave me a fact sheet about the "Great Beer State." I'm not saying that "Great Beer State" should replace the existing motto of "Great Lake State," but we should at least make it an option.
Michigan currently ranks #5 in the country of in terms of the number of in-state craft breweries. I also discovered that you're never longer than an hour and a half drive away from a brewery. And with over 85 breweries throughout the state, you could hit a different brewery every weekend for a year and still not see them all. If that sounds like a challenge, that's because it is. Come to Grand Rapids, sleep on my couch, and I'll show you four microbreweries within two miles (Founders, Brewery Vivant, Harmony and Grand Rapids Brewing). With all of the local breweries nearby, it's kind of like an adult playground where I don't get kicked out for drinking: because drinking is the point! 

I guess what this love note to Michigan is trying to say, is that there is no better time or place to explore craft beer. The whole United States is embracing the craft beer culture, and I encourage you to fully explore it, but why not start here? Drive 90 minutes to Bell's, or Atwater or Short's Brewery to discover for yourself why Michigan is a top player in the national beer game. Absorb the atmosphere, eat some bar food, and try some local specialty beers. 

Just don't drink and drive, my mom would be so disappointed if you did that. 

1 comment:

  1. Dont forget The HideOut located on Plainfield(road not the city), Perrin in Comstock park, and recently Osgood Brewing in Grandvile.

    ReplyDelete