Monday, September 9, 2013

Beer Pouring 101


Some nights (afternoons, mornings, etc...) I am an overeager beaver when it comes to beer. I slam it into a pint glass and then cry as my beer bubbles over the side and onto the floor. After wasting too much beer, I decided to get a crash course on "The Art of Pouring" from my dad.

He started with some geometry jargon, telling me to tip my glass 45 degrees and to slowly pour half the beer into the vessel. Then, i'm supposed to skillfully tilt the glass 90 degrees and pour the rest in to get a "good head." I am not a math major and I do not own a protractor, compass, abacus, or any type of instrument that would help me in this geometric endeavor. As an English Major, I was forced to translate his brew-boy lingo into my native tongue.

So that's how I came to think of pouring beer as a Jane Austen-ian introduction.

The proud beer bows first to the maiden glass, keeping his neck parallel to the floor in propriety.
The beautiful, yet independent glass curtsies to meet the bowing beer (still at a 45 degree angle. I can't escape math).
Then the fair and intelligent lady glass bends back up halfway through the introduction to look at her tall, dark and delicious (and hopefully rich) man bottle.
Now the upright glass is full of beer and the bottle is completely empty.

I urge you to not take this analogy any deeper. I did not intend to make a sexual innuendo from this beer pouring guide. Even though it is definitely is heading in that direction.

At this point you have slightly aerated beer with a decent amount of foam. A little bit of foam is a good thing on a glass of beer that you're not trying to chug. It looks cool and the bursty foam bubbles let the nose in on the beer action.

I hope this guide helps you pour beer with confidence. I also hope that you don't judge me too much for the Pride and Prejudice analogy, sometimes I feel like I could be cool one day, but my mind wont let me.

So go pour yourself a perfect glass of beer without the fear of wasting a single tasty drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment