Thursday, September 5, 2013

Like Father, Like Daughter


As I said before, I grew up with a dad that loves beer. This isn't in a dirty tank top wearing, crusty old man saying "Hey you kid, get me a brewski" type scenario. This is a teacher-student scenario. My dad started brewing his own beer when I was in middle school. Soon our house smelled like hops,barley and yeast every Sunday when he would make a new batch. I was usually looking over his shoulder, even though I couldn't stand the smell of the hops.

He liked making his own beer for a while, but then discovered that great beer is already being made all over the country. So now instead of brewing it, he goes out and buys it:
This is his haul after a Colorado brewery trip
 After he comes back from a trip, he has so many facts to share. We'll sit at the kitchen table and discuss varieties and ingredients. He never lets me forget that beer is a fine craft. Plus, my dad's not stingy, so he always lets me try his bizarre beers from small microbreweries. And, the more that he travels to buy beer the more beer I get to try fo' free. My relationship with my dad is a win-win situation. He talks, I learn, we drink.

This is my dad in his natural habitat. He would be so mad if he knew I did this...
Seriously though, my dad is awesome. He's not snooty about beer, or an elitist, he just appreciates good shit. Without him, I would still be drinking boxed wine directly from the nozzle, wondering if there was a better way. If you can find a beer spirit guide to help navigate you through the world of craft beer, I would highly suggest it. If you can't find a beer spirit guide, ask my dad. He'll offer you a beer and talk your ear off. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment