Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Baby Steps to Experimental Beers


I’ll admit that I’m not the most adventurous person when it comes to trying beer. I like my stouts, my porters and my IPAs. Sometimes I’ll buy a bottle of beer that I know will be good versus buying a Flying Dog Pearl Necklace with oysters that could very well taste like ass. I’m trying to get into the world of unique and experimental beers—I’m just taking baby steps. Lately, I’ve been looking for flavors that aren’t always featured in beers. Right now waiting to be tested is one beer with juniper and one with habaneros. I’ll try beer with oysters, bacon, and smoked pig’s head eventually, but let me take my damn time.

This first step on the road to experimental beers was a Chicory Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery. I know that chicory isn’t that strange of an ingredient, but let me take this victory.  Chicory root in case you don’t know what it is, is a common coffee substitute and additive (especially in New Orleans). The root is roasted, then ground, and adds an almost coffee-ish flavor to things…like beer.  Most people say that chicory is notably nuttier, woodier and a tad bitterer than coffee—at least that’s what Wikipedia told me. Some people say it’s really not like coffee at all. I kept this all in mind as I was drinking my Chicory Stout. 

I poured this into my new English Pub Glass and the brew was black with a fairly decent cream colored head. A woody/spicy/roasty/coffee-y smell could be detected right after the pour.

The taste predominately had black coffee flavor. The brew features organic Mexican coffee as well as the chicory, and it’s obvious which one they used more in the brewing process. The real hint of chicory comes after the black coffee flavor subsides and earthier and chocolatier notes pop out. Overall, I liked it but wished the black coffee taste was less in-your-face. Plus, the body was thinner than I was expecting after the initial head on the pour.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for crazy beers to write about. Calling this chicory beer slightly experimental is a bit of a leap. If you have any suggestions for me, feel free leave the names in the comment box. If it wasn’t a potential awkward situation I would ask you to send me new beers to try, but this is the internet, and some things aren’t okay to do on the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment